What is it?
Designed specifically for lecture and meeting capture, Swivl is a rotating robotic base that holds a tablet or smartphone while it is recording video, and intelligently follows the speaker’s movements about the room as they are delivering their presentation.
You can reserve the Swivl here: http://webcheckout.lesley.edu.
To see an example of Swivl being used in the classroom and in meetings, take a look at this brief video:
What comes in the kit?
When you reserve the Swivl from our department, you'll get the following items:
- Swivl carrying case
- Swivl base
- power supply
- lanyard (holds the marker around your neck)
- audio cable
- wall charger for iPad
- charging cable for iPad
How do I set it up?
Please follow the instructions below for setting up the Swivl with the iPad that came with your kit.
- Locate the following equipment in the carrying
· Swivl base
· Lanyard (the thing that goes around your neck)
· Power cable
· Audio cable
· Marker (small remote stowed away in a compartment on the top of the base)
- Connect the power cable from a wall outlet to the Swivl
- Press and hold the power button on the base until the lights come on
- Press and hold the power button on the marker (small remote stored in
compartment on top of base) until the lights come on
· A red light next to the power button on the base and marker indicates that the device is on. A green light indicates that the base and marker are communicating properly with one another.
- Stand at least three feet away with the marker in hand and observe the effects
of the base following your movements
· You may find it convenient to place the marker in the lanyard to wear around your neck so that your hands are free for your presentation
- Insert the iPad into the Swivl base in landscape orientation (sideways like you’re watching a movie)
- Plug one end of the audio cable into the Swivl base (it should be plugged into the port with the microphone symbol) and the other end of the audio cable into the headphone port on the iPad
- Open the Swivl app
- On the iPad, begin recording video using your desired application
- The Swivl base should now be following your movements around the room, and the iPad should be recording your video!
How Do I Record Video?
- Open the Swivl App
- Select Capture
- Tap the round record button (big circle) on the side of the screen to begin recording (button will light up red while recording)
- When you are finished recording, tap the round record button again
- At this point, the video has been saved within the Swivl Capture App. Follow the directions in the next section for retrieving your video file and saving it to your computer.
How Do I Get My Video Onto My Computer?
Export the Video File From the Swivl App to Camera Roll
- In the Swivl App, tap the menu button at the top left of the screen.
- Locate your video file and tap the · · · icon to see more options
- Select Save to download the video to the camera roll
- Press the home button on the iPad and open up the Photos app
- If you see your video in here, then you have successfully exported the video file from the Swivl App to the iPad's Camera Roll
- Plug the iPad into your computer using the provided USB cable
- Open Image Capture in your Mac's Applications folder
- Select your video
- Choose a destination to Import your video
- Press Import