How do I complete my FAFSA if I haven't completed taxes yet?

Modified on Tue, 03 Jan 2023 at 03:55 PM

When you file the FAFSA, you’re required to report income and tax information from an earlier tax year. For example, on the 2023–2024 FAFSA, you - and your parent(s), if applicable - must report your 2021 income and tax information.

The U.S. Department of Education understands that some families’ incomes may have changed significantly since the 2021 tax year. If that's the case for you, after filing your FAFSA contact the Financial Aid Office for assistance. We have the ability to assess your situation and make qualifying adjustments to your FAFSA.

Note: The FAFSA will ask you for your marital status as of the day you fill it out. So if you’re married now but you weren’t in 2021 (and therefore didn’t file taxes as married), you’ll need to add your spouse’s income to your FAFSA. Similarly, if you filed your 2021 taxes as married but you’re no longer married when you fill out the FAFSA, you’ll need to subtract your spouse’s income.

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons
CAPTCHA verification is required.

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article