How can I request more financial aid if I have a special circumstance?

Modified on Mon, 27 Jun 2022 at 05:11 PM

We recognize that the federal "Needs Analysis Formula" may not accurately reflect unexpected financial circumstances you may encounter. At your request, we can review a reported financial change to determine if adjustments should be made to the calculation of your EFC (Expected Family Contribution) which may impact your financial aid eligibility.

The federal formula which produces your EFC uses the data you report on the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), and determines your financial aid eligibility. It is based on the most recent year that a tax return can be filed. This is known in financial aid as the "Base Year." For the 2022-2023 academic year (July 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023) the base year is 2020.

There are occasions when a family’s financial situation changes during either during the following calendar year - or during the school year - from what it was in the Base Year. Upon request, we will review such changes (known as “special conditions”) in the hope of providing a more accurate reflection of the family’s financial situation for aid purposes.

No Guarantee: If you report a special condition does not guarantee a recalculation of your EFC and/or an increase in financial aid funding. All cases will be reviewed by the Financial Aid Office upon receipt of all required documentation. We may determine that the Special Condition reported does not comply with the spirit of the U.S. Department of Education’s regulations governing financial aid programs. All decisions made by Student Administrative Services are final.

Special Circumstance Appeals are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the academic year. For more information about completing the Special Conditions form, please contact Student Administrative Services.

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article