How do I qualify for Federal Work Study?

Modified on Tue, 27 Sep 2022 at 04:49 PM

Federal Work Study (FWS) is available to U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens that complete the FAFSA and demonstrate unmet financial need (as determined by the U.S. government). You'll see a Work Study award amount included in your financial aid letter from the Financial Aid Office if you’ve been granted funding for the academic year. The standard award is $1,800: the maximum amount that you may earn in wages for your Work Study employment over the course of an academic year (September through May). All traditional undergraduate and graduate students who are enrolled at least ½ time in their program of study are eligible to participate in the work study program.*

If your original financial aid award changes - such as additional loans or scholarships - your FWS eligibility may be affected. You can find more information on our Student Jobs webpage. If you have any questions about your Work Study eligibility, can contact us by submitting a ticket on the Support Hub or via email at

*Half-Time Status:

  • Undergraduate Students: at least 6 credits
  • Graduate Students: at least 3 credits

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons
CAPTCHA verification is required.

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article