You may find yourself in need of recording audio using your desktop, laptop, or other mobile device. This article will show you how to do so using several popular devices.
All Macs (laptops and desktops) come with a built-in microphone.
- Go to your Applications folder
- Open QuickTime Player
- Click File>New Audio Recording
- Click the red record button to begin recording
- Click the black stop button to stop recording
- Go to File>Save As to save your file to your desired location
- Open the Sound Recorder application in the following location: Start>All Programs>Accessories>Sound Recorder
- Click Start Recording to begin recording
- Click Stop Recording to stop recording
- Choose a filename and destination in the window that pops up
- Click Save
There are many web-based voice recording tools, such as Online Voice Recorder: https://online-voice-recorder.com/beta/
- Go to https://online-voice-recorder.com/beta/
- If prompted by your browser, click Allow Microphone Access. You may also click on the Settings button to configure your microphone.
- Click the red record button to begin recording.
- Click the record button to end recording
- Click Save to download your recording
- Open the Voice Memos app (all iPhones have this app, and it can't be deleted)
- Press the red record button to begin recording
- Press the red stop button to stop recording
- Tap Done
- Type a name for your recording
- Press Save
- Tap your recording
- Press the share icon and email or AirDrop the file to another computer or device
Each Android device is different, and different carriers may load different apps on the device. Because of this, there is no standard voice recorder app for Android like there is for iOS. Your device may have an app installed already (look for apps labeled "Recorder," "Voice Recorder," "Memo," "Notes," etc.), or you may have to download one from the Google Play store (search for "Voice Recorder" and find an app that meets your needs). Because the apps may vary, the instructions below are more of a guide.
- Locate or download a recorder app on your phone and click to open
- Press the Record button to begin recording
- Press the Stop button to end recording
- Tap your recording to share