Below are instructions to assist you with registering for courses from Student Planning. If you need help registering from the Course Catalog, please consult this article.
If you're new to Self-Service or just need a refresher with in-depth instructions, please consult our introductory videos on student planning as well as course search and registration.
(To view full-sized versions of these images, left-click on an image and it will display as a pop-up overlay.)
- You can use Student Planning to prepare for registration. From the Self-Service menu, select Academics > Student Planning > My Progress. From the My Progress screen, you can review your academic progress and search for required courses.
- Make a plan using course placeholders. Select Academics > Student Planning > Plan & Schedule to build your Course Plan for future semesters and terms (you can also add course placeholders via My Progress when searching for required courses).
- Though you may add course placeholders to your Course Plan at any time, that's just the first step in preparing your registration. When you're ready, return to Plan & Schedule to add available sections of your planned courses to your Schedule.
- Remember: a Section (includes meeting information) or a Course Placeholder (lacks meeting information) on your Course Plan or Schedule doesn't guarantee you a spot in the class.
- When registration opens, select Academics > Register for Classes/View Schedule to register for the sections you've added to your schedule. If a section is available for you to register - and there are no restrictions or holds preventing your registration - you should find a blue button labeled Register for Section below the section's information (you can also register for all available sections that you've added to your schedule by selecting the blue Register for Section(s) Now button at the top right of your term schedule).
- You will receive a confirmation email if you successfully register in sections. If you don't receive a confirmation email, you aren't registered.
- If a placeholder course doesn't have any available sections for the semester or term for which you'd like to register, the section isn't being offered at that time.
- If the course is required for your program(s), use My Progress to find other courses meeting your requirements. Each course code (ex: CWRIT-1101) is a hyperlink that will take you to a Course Catalog page where you can add a specific section to your schedule (you can also check the Course Catalog to find available sections).
From "My Progress":
After Selecting the Course Code Link:
- If you need to take a placeholder that has no available sections, you should move it to a future semester or term. Select the Timeline tab in the Plan & Schedule screen, click the placeholder you want to move and drag it to another term. You may only drag planned courses, and not registered or completed sections.
Remember: planned courses are only placeholders. Once schedules for a term you've already planned are available, visit "Plan & Schedule" to add sections from that placeholder to your schedule. Then, once registration opens, you may visit "Register for Classes/View Schedule" to register for the available sections you added to your schedule.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article