If you have legally changed your name and want to have the username for your Lesley accounts reflect that change, you must first make sure that you have updated your name with the appropriate department within Lesley. IT cannot change a username if the name has not been updated first in the university's information system. Once your record has been updated, you can send an email to it@lesley.edu with your request.  You will be contacted when the username has been changed.


To update your Lesley University record:



Contact your Admission's counselor to update your record.


Students & Alumni:

Contact the Registrar's Office to update your record.  You can also go to the Registrar's Forms page, which includes a name change form in the Name/Address Changes section. 


Staff and Faculty:

Contact the Human Resources Office to update your record.

Vendors (Public Safety, Physical Plant, Bookstore, Bon Appetit, EDS, Guest and non-Lesley Rentals):

Contact the Assistant Director of Campus Services at weve@lesley.edu.

 Please note - You will not be able to change your username for any reason except for a legal name change.