The Kaltura Media Editor in My Media allows users to trim the beginning or end of videos, create clips, and splice then remove (chop) portions of a video.
Topics in this article include:
Launch the Kaltura Media Editor
To launch the Kaltura Media editor, go to your My Media and then click on the edit (pencil) icon to the right of your video.
For instructions on accessing your Kaltura My Media, see Managing Your Kaltura Media (My Media).
Once the video loads, click Launch Editor.
If your video has captions, a warning message will display. In order to keep the original caption files intact, save a copy of the video before editing.
The editor consists of a left, right, and bottom pane.
Media Details (Left Pane)
The left pane displays your media details. This pane may be minimized by clicking the open/close left pane button.
Media Player (Right Pane)
The right pane is the Media Player. You may use the player to view your edits.
This player features:
- Real-time input
- Play/Pause buttons and the Skip to start/Skip to end Buttons
- Volume button
- Full screen button
Timeline (Bottom Pane):
You may select a certain point on the timeline, zoom in/out on the timeline, or use the timeline to clip, trim, or chop your video. The Timeline includes the following icons and tools:
- Redo icon: retracts to the the last action you performed on the Timeline
- Undo icon: undoes the last action you performed on the Timeline
- Reset icon: resets the Timeline to its last saved state
- Real Time Marker, with Quick Action and Time Code
- Set In/Out: use to set cue points on your time line.
- Split: use to cut your setment at the selected point
- Fade In/Out icon: use to set fade in/out cue points on your selected segment
- Delete icon: use to cut the selected segment
- Zoom marker: use to enlarge the timeline display graunlarity
- Handlebars: Use to snap to a certain point on the video segment
- Show/Hide Audio: show or hide the audio tracks on the timeline
- Total amount of the video duration: indicates the total amount of time of the video
Trim a Video
Trimming enables you to edit the start time and end time of your media. Trimming a video effects your original video and any changes you make will be permanent.
Using the handle bars at the beginning and end of the clip, drag the bars to where you would like the video to start and stop.
Click Save. This will bring up a warning message stating that any changes will be permanent.
Click Save to save your changes.
Clip a Video
Creating a media clip creates a new media entry. The clipping tool enables you to edit your media using the timeline or by setting the start time and end time of your new clip.
Using the handle bars at the beginning and end of the new clip, drag the bars to where you would like the video to start and stop.
Click Save A Copy. This will create a new clip.
Enter a title. You can either use the suggested title (indicating that this video is a clip) or create a new title. Click Create to save your clip.
Chop/Splice a Video
Chopping and splicing refers to removing a section from the middle of the video and placing the remaining two sections to form one new, shorter video.
Drag the blue marker to where the section you’d like to remove begins. Click the scissor icon. This will split the video into 2 parts.
Move the marker to where the section you’d like to remove ends. Click the scissor icon again.
The section you want to remove will have a yellow border around it. If it doesn’t, click anywhere in the section. Click the trash can icon to the left.
The section will disappear. Click and drag the right section to the left until it’s against the left section.
Click Save to replace the original video, or Save a Copy to preserve the original.
For additional detailed documentation, see Kaltura Video Editing Tools.