This articles addresses several basic questions about performing computer backups:
- Why should I back up my computer?
- What should I backup?
- What is the best way to save and backup my work?
Why should I backup my computer?
Backing up your data is the best way to protect yourself against file corruption, viruses, accidental deletions and overwrites, and other grisly computer troubles. The minutes you spend in backing up your files once a day or once a week can save you from hours of frustrating labor reconstructing lost databases, expense records, papers, and research notes.
What should I backup?
Typically, the most important files on your computer are the ones that you have created. Good backups should include your documents, your archived e-mail, and your bookmarks. It is unnecessary to copy software applications.
[Note: Mail in your Lesley e-mail account resides on the Exchange server and is automatically synced with your computer and backed up routinely. “Archived e-mail” refers to mail that you have saved on your local computer only. Archived e-mail should be included in your backups, as there is no way to recover it from the Exchange server.]
What is the best way to save and backup my work?
The following are suggested best practices for safeguarding your work on your computer:
- Connect your files to OneDrive for Business, and the files will sync automatically into OneDrive.
- Save all your files to one folder, such as My Documents (Windows) or Documents (Mac). Backup this folder by copying it to external media (i.e. flash drive, SD Card). Keep this media in a safe place, away from heat and moisture.
- Keep several backup copies. Don’t overwrite your previous backup in case you need to revert back to an older version of your document.
- Back up regularly and back up often.
Learn How To Backup Your Mac Using Time Machine: http://www.apple.com/support/backup/
Learn How To Backup/Sync Your Files On Mac With OneDrive: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/sync-files-with-onedrive-on-mac-os-x-d11b9f29-00bb-4172-be39-997da46f913f
Learn How To Backup Your PC With OneDrive: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/back-up-your-documents-pictures-and-desktop-folders-with-onedrive-d61a7930-a6fb-4b95-b28a-6552e77c3057